Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Strawberry Spinach Salad

Tonight it is hot and humid, which makes me starting thinking about all the fresh produce that will soon be available!  During the summer, we eat a lot of salad as we try and keep the house cool into the evenings.  Could this be the beginning of a summer salad series?  Are we up to the challenge?


STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD*

Salad:
1 package baby spinach
1 quart fresh berries (any kind or mixture will do)

Dressing: (best if made 1 day before serving)

1/3 cup of sugar*
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
2Tbsp sesame seeds
2T Tbsp poppy seeds*
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp green onions*


Mix dressing ingredients the day before and refrigerate.  Shake well before serving (make sure lid is tight, lesson learned) and pour over berry/spinach salad.   

*1. I got this recipe from my mom.  She got it from a coworker.  It is not of my own creation.
2. I have substituted the sugar with the sugar replacement, Splenda, with good results
3. I usually don't have poppy seeds, so they usually aren't in the salad
4. I also don't like green onions.  But, the dressing really isn't the same without them.  Thus, I personally do not eat this salad.  But, everyone else raves about it, so it must be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a Christian blog. Please respect our community values. Amen. (Comments are in moderation. Please be patient.)